The Blythe clone (Basaak) I had ordered from Thailand arrived on Saturday. I was so impatient to have her in my hand but when she was finally there it was made immediately clear what the ebay seller meant by poor quality, not comparable to an authentic Blythe. The Thai on Ebay are masters at frank disclosures. After a moment of doubt I soldiered on and started taking her apart, first discarding her stiff body, which I replaced with the second hand jointed one you see above, sanding her face completely and washing her hair with dish soap many many times.
Carving her face is much harder than YouTube /Flickr makes it sound. Finding the right tools for the job is a bit of a guessing game but after a good 3-4 hours of trial and error I had learned a lot and decided to stop while I was ahead. The first attempt at painting the face was a bit similar, easier though than carving.
I replaced her eyelashes, gave her sleep eyes, a hair cut and voila! my girl is all new and I can't stand it she is so pretty. Creating a face is a bit like having a baby, really hard work but you just can't help but being happy and in love.
This is what she looked like before all the violence:
I sewed everything she is wearing before she arrived, making friends with the Bernina 580 decorative stitches. I found one (713) that gathers as you sew with thick strait stitches. I can see myself using it over and again where I want fullness and don't need stretch.
The beret was knitted last night, you can find my Ravelry notes here.
I really hope to sew somthing esle for her tonight, a little cape maybe...I wish I could make her shoes too. Much more to come with Serafinn no doubt!