I have been absolutely dragging my body around through this cold. I suspect all the rosy cheeks Finn frequents at Kindergarten. The situation there is difficult, 29 children > one adult, this equation results in chaos and not much learning. After an initial complete melt down on my part (Finn is going to fail! this is the worst situation we have ever been in etc...) and realizing once calmed down that indeed things are bad I decided to put aside whatever it is I do during the week and volunteer in the classroom at least every other day.
The first day I got hit in the chest by a shoe, on the third day the child took my hand to go back in the building after recess something she had no intention of doing if the crossed arms and closed up face were any indication. It hard work and I have developed infinite respect for the teachers, but I think I am supposed to be there, it a profound calling. The children seem to love me, which is completely unexpected. My friends and family know that I am not a avid mother, but when I look at their round faces while they take little proficiency tests I think: This is the coolest job in the word!...
With this new adventure come a slew of germs one of which is kicking me to the ground over and over again. Yesterday was lost but today I rebelled and sewed the fabric bought at Yellow Bird on Wednesday (5-day turn over people! amazing!) into a skirt mostly following Sew Caroline's pattern.
The fabric seems to be a surplus bolt from the label Prairie NY. I don't know how Amy the shop owner gets those but It is worth it. The silk has beautiful drape but the lycra was a tad of a challenge for me at first. I fixed the problem, here is how:
For this first experiment with silk I choose a pattern with not possibility of fit issues, something tried and true. I fitted the machine with a #70 Sharp needle and relied on the Bernina Creative Consultant to guide me through stitch length, foot and foot pressure. This is something that I start with all the time. Imagine, I was sewing three layers of fleece just before, it's nice to recalibrate everything before the silk hits the needle.
The side seams went well but as soon as I tried to attach the lining to the silk, making the mistake to leave the silk on top, I got puckers. I flipped the lining on the top which worked like a charm. For the wide hem however I knew this wasn't going to cut it, and brought in the big guns: my walking foot. I bet the dual feed foot (4c I think) on the new Bernina 700 series would sew the silk as if it was canvas, but in the absence of these Ferrari the walking foot did a perfect job. I mean not even a hint of a pucker when I joined the stitch-line at the end.
I didn't buy a large amount of fabric but still wanted a 3 inch bottom hem. I resorted to sewing the lining to the top, and stay-stitching the seam allowance to the lining to keep it in place. With such large hem folds, when stitching from the outside you need something to help guide the fabric. I am well aware that there is a plastic tool to do this but washi tape makes me so much happier!