Two weeks ago, I had the single most successful trip to Goodwill since they opened. There, T. and I found 6 antique linen sheets with spectacular monograms, some of them pairs (!). I believe them to be French in origin but if anyone knows better I would love to learn from you. Some have holes that need darning, and so far my experiments with the free motion foot on the Bernina 580 have been satisfactory. Still, I like to get validation from a higher authority and will have to write my sewing-savant contact at headquarters... Now without further blabla, behold the monogram galore:
The most spectacular maybe is missing from the pictures above as the sheet is enormous and I lost steam literaly and figuratively after ironing all this linen. Instead I added a napkin found as a set of twelve by my aunt in France. B L is my complete monogram, but so far I have not found a compelling digitized example and therefore only use L. Which leads to this weekend effort, yet another embroidered flatware cover. Taking advantage of the oval hoop (largest size furnished with the B580) I went for white on white. The wreath is meant to contain at least six colors but I like it much better with just one. Many motifs can benefit from less garishness, it lends them a classic look and is much faster/easier to complete.
Looking at it closely I notice only now that I must have skipped the caps of the acorns, oh well... too late now to do much about it.
Forgetfulness is not the only issue alas, as each slot is 1.25 inches when really 1.5" would have been more adequate. It's the tricky part with these covers, trying to guess how big the slots should be... which generally, in my case, turn out too large in the end. From now on it will be 1.5" for knives and might vary for the forks and spoons. To further protect the forks I sewed an additional rectangle of matelasse to place behind the blades. This cover will probably end up housing dessert flatware in the long run as it might accommodate those better.